Click to Call

805 Washington Dr, Suite A2
Arlington, TX 76011

Get Directions

Texas Insurance Blog

I have a 5th wheel. Am I required to purchase recreational insurance?

Many people don’t consider an RV and a vehicle as similar. However, if your RV has a motor, it’s actually a home on wheels. However, there are different kinds of RVs, some with motors and some without. All motorized RVs are subject to the same insurance laws that govern vehicles. Our Arlington, TX team of experts at InsPeak is dedicated to helping RV owners get the coverage they need.

What type of insurance is required for RVs in Texas?

If you own a motorized RV in Texas, you’re required to carry liability insurance that meets the state minimum requirements. Similar to auto insurance, RV owners must carry $30,000 per person for bodily injuries as well as $60,000 per accident. RV owners must also carry $25,000 in property damage coverage. If you have a non-motorized RV, your car insurance should cover the tow of your RV. Non-motorized RVs can be insured, but there’s no legal requirement. However, if you’re financing your RV, your loan company usually requires you to carry insurance until it’s paid off. 

I have a 5th wheel. Am I required to purchase recreational insurance?

The 5th wheel is a non-motorized recreational vehicle. As a result, Texas law doesn’t require non-motorized RVs to be insured. Non-motorized RVs must be towed. Your car insurance usually covers anything that you tow. Most auto insurance policies provide coverage for towing. However, only motorized RVs are required to carry liability insurance. You can also purchase more insurance to cover any damage, theft, or vandalism your RV may incur.

Reach Out To Us

If you have questions about RV insurance, call our Arlington, TX at InsPeak. We’d be happy to answer all of your questions. 

Servicing States

  • Texas
  • Georgia


Partner Carriers

  • ACCC
  • Alinsco
  • All Risks
  • Gainsco
  • Hiscox
  • Infinity
  • Kemper
  • Progressive